CHIEF MUSELE ORDERS KISASA MARKET CLOSURE AFTER MOB KILLING

CHIEF MUSELE ORDERS KISASA MARKET CLOSURE AFTER MOB KILLING

Home News Home Affairs

Posted by admin on March 23, 2026 at 9:44 AM

Share: Visits: 913


President Hakainde Hichilema has directed police to arrest and prosecute all those involved in the brutal mob killing of Eneless Hellen Kamutumbe, a 46-year-old businesswoman from Chingola who was attacked in Kalumbila District after being falsely accused of witchcraft.

Police have so far arrested eight suspects, with more arrests expected as investigations continue. The President condemned the act as “heinous,” stressing that mob justice has no place in Zambia.

State House communications specialist Clayson Hamasaka said in a statement. “Nothing entitles a mob to take a life. That is not how the Republic of Zambia works, and it is not who we are as a people. Extrajudicial violence of this kind is a heinous crime, and it will be treated as one,”

President Hichilema emphasized that every individual responsible must be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, declaring that “there will be no impunity.”

He expressed condolences to Kamutumbe’s family, saying: “She deserved better. Her memory deserves justice, and justice will be done.”

The incident has drawn widespread condemnation, with Senior Chief Musele ordering the closure of Kisasa Market for two months, citing the community’s failure to protect life. The traditional leader said the suspension will allow thorough screening and investigations to restore order.

Chief Musele also criticized police response, citing lack of vehicles as a contributing factor to the tragedy. “Late response from the Police caused the woman’s death, and the issue is that there are no police vehicles here,” he said.

Local leaders have echoed the condemnation Kalumbila District Commissioner Brenda Sankisa vowed to ensure all culprits are arrested.

Councilor Mugandi Liyungu expressed shame, calling the killing “barbaric” and unacceptable.

Council Chairperson Shadrick Mujunga lamented that even women participated in the attack, saying, “You can’t kill a fellow human being like that… I strongly condemn this behavior and will make sure all culprits are brought to book.”

The killing of Kamutumbe, who is survived by her husband and six children including a two-year-old, has reignited national debate on mob justice and false witchcraft accusations.

Authorities are urging communities to report suspected crimes to law enforcement rather than taking the law into their own hands.

Related Articles